Motion Graphics and Compositing - Project 1: Technical and Motion Graphics Sensibilities

25.9.2024 -  / Week 1 - Week 
Chan Wan Qing / 0350928 / BA of Design (HONS) in Creative Media
Motion Graphics and Compositing
Project 1

INDEX:

1. Lectures
2. Project 1: Technical and Motion Graphics Sensibilities
    Part 1
    Part 2
3. Feedbacks
4. Reflection


LECTURES 

Week 1 / 25.9.2024

In the first week, Mr Fauzi briefs us about the Module Information Booklet of Motion Graphics and Compositing. He also explained about the weekly plan and assessments that we will do in this module. We will learn about the basic principles of form and design (project 1) first, then kinetic typography (project 2), followed by storytelling (project 3). 

Week 2 / 2.10.2024

Introduction to Motion Graphics

Motion Graphics - a way to communicate with viewers
                            - animation with text as the major component 

*Different composition (Shapes/Images/Videos/Text) > Compile 

Motion Graphics are used in:

  • Branding
  • Television Title Sequences
  • Storytelling
  • Creating Awareness
  • Explaining A Concept
  • Product Video

Research > Script (Need to be locked - get agreement) > Audio & Visual

*Study the references


Introduction to Motion Graphics - Lecture Slides

Week 3 / 9.10.2024

Compositing Toolkit

Composition = the arrangement of the visual elements 

  • Unity
  • Balance: the sense that the composition "feels right" and not heavier on one side
  • Movement
  • Rhythm
  • Focus (Emphasis)
  • Contrast

Compositing Toolkit - Lecture Slides














INSTRUCTIONS

Project 1: Technical and Motion Graphics Sensibilities

In the first project, we are to develop our motion graphics sensibilities by increasing our technical proficiency and knowledge in Adobe After Effects. First, we need to download the template provided by Mr Fauzi that includes 8 motion graphics that shows different principles including movement, hierarchy, balance, direction, symmetry, focus, scale and rhythm. 

Part 1: Pre-composition 

In part 1 of the project, we need to use the template and create 4 motion graphics with different principles which are symmetry, focus, scale and rhythm. Then, we should render the composition.

Requirements:

  • Size & resolution: 1280 x 720 (HDTV) 25 fps
  • Format: Quicktime H.264
  • Duration: 8 seconds
  • File: P1_Name.mov
  • Submit YouTube Link

Before starting to create motion graphics in Adobe After Effects, I went to Pinterest and YouTube to explore some ideas that match with each principle. I also sketched out a few ideas. As it should be simple and not too advanced, I mostly used basic shapes such as circles and rectangles.


References


Sketch

1. Symmetry

For symmetry, I started with a circle at the centre as the axis. I added 2 circles at the axis and placed them opposite to each other. I used the idea of my sketch and moved them around using rotation. I realised that to make the circles move according to the axis, I need to adjust the anchor point. So, I adjust the anchor points of both circle and insert keyframe that applied rotation. 


Symmetry - Rotation

Then, I also added 2 more set of circles that move in and rotate around the axis using position and rotation. I added keyframe assistant (easy ease) for the movement of the circles.


Symmetry - Position & Rotation 

At last, I made the circles back to how it starts so that it looks smoother in composition.


Motion Graphics - Symmetry

2. Focus

For focus, I had 2 ideas. For the first one, I blurred the circle at the centre and created a frame that moves around. When the frame overlapped with the circle, it becomes clear. I used masking in this idea. However, I feel like the final outcome was too rush, so I came out with the second idea. 


Focus (Idea 1) - Masking


Motion Graphics - Focus (Idea 1)

In the second idea, I referred to the some video on YouTube and Mr Fauzi's template. I started with a dot that scales up. Then, I created 8 other dots and used different sizes of the focus dot and other dots to create focus, and used masking of rectangles to create motion. 


Focus (Idea 2) - Sizes


Focus (Idea 2) - Masking

Then, I created a few circles like the rings of an archery target and scale them. 


Focus (Idea 2) - Rings


Motion Graphics - Focus (Idea 2)

3. Scale

For scale, I first created a larger square and 3 smaller squares. While thinking how can I scale them, I came out with the idea to start with all equal sizes and scale each opposite square accordingly. I inserted the keyframes and scale up the square. 


Scale - Scale Up


Motion Graphics - Scale

4. Rhythm 

For rhythm, I used my sketched idea, which is inspired by a game, which we should not let the ball to touch the ground in the game. I created a ball and a rectangle which is used to prevent the ball to touch the ground. Then I used position the move the rectangle and also the ball where the ball bounces to the edge to create rhythm. I tried to let the ending point (position) of the ball same with the starting position to create a smoother motion graphics in the final composition. 

Rhythm - Position


Motion Graphics - Rhythm

Final Part 1 [Project 1: Technical and Motion Graphics Sensibilities]


Final Part 1 - Composition

Part 2: Composition Remix

In part 2 of this project, we can choose any pre-composition (#1 - #8) in Part 1 and drag it into composition remix in the After Effects template Mr Fauzi provided. Then, we have to create a composition remix using the pre-composition for 16 seconds. 

Requirements:

  • Size & resolution: 1280 x 720 (HDTV) 25 fps
  • Format: Quicktime H.264
  • Duration: 16 seconds
  • File: P2_Name.mov
  • Submit YouTube Link

Attempt 1

For the 1st attempt, I tried to use the original composition remix to add and amend some of the parts. I added scale and focus since I wanted to use all of the pre-composition. But, I was stuck at how to connect them. 


Attempt 1 - Composition Remix

For the first attempt, I like the first 5 seconds, but I had no idea how to continue. I tried compositing them until 14th second, but I felt like it's too plain. So, I eventually gave up on this one. 


Attempt 1

Attempt 2

For the second attempt, I started with zero, which I removed all the pre-compositions on the timeline of composition remix. Then, I added the pre-compositions one by one. I started with balance and my idea is to connect balance and rhythm together by the circle. To do that, I added a circle which is of the same size as the circle in rhythm. Then, I positioned it following how balance moves and bounces up then comes down as the circle of rhythm. 


Attempt 2 - Balance & Rhythm

After that, I added hierarchy and scale which appears once the circle touch the rectangle. Then, I added one more hierarchy and increase the scale to cover all the pre-compositions and so that once it swipes down and up, the back change to other pre-composition, focus. 


Attempt 2 - Hierarchy & Scale


Attempt 2 - Hierarchy & Focus

After adding focus, I added symmetry and direction. In the part where the focus looks like target, I added in direction at the side to lead the audience's eyes to focus on the centre. After the composition of focus ends, I added the composition of symmetry to connect them since the two compositions are both circles. 


Attempt 2 - Focus & Direction


Attempt 2 - Focus & Symmetry

Then, I added the composition of movement surrounding the symmetry. For movement, I added a few compositions of different sizes. I felt like the side is too empty, so I added composition of hierarchy at the side and adjusted the timing and opacity. To end this composition remix, I added the composition of focus and cut the second part (target part), then reverse and combine them together. 


Attempt 2 - Movement & Hierarchy


Attempt 2 - Movement & Focus


Attempt 2























 
FEEDBACKS

Week 3 / Project 1 - Part 1


Good! Can continue to explore part 2 and remix music for the following part. 







 

REFLECTION








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Typography - Task 3: Type Exploration and Application

Interactive Design - Final Project: Creating a Single-Page Website for An Artist

Information Design - Exercises