Information Design - Exercises

6.2.2024 - 13.2.2024 / Week 1 - Week 2
Chan Wan Qing / 0350928 / BA of Design (HONS) in Creative Media
Information Design
Exercises 1 - 2


INDEX: 

1. Lectures
2. Exercises
    Exercise 1 - Quantify & Visualize Data
    Exercise 2 - L.A.T.C.H
3. Feedbacks
4. Reflection


LECTURES

Week 1 / 6.2.2024

In week 1, we were briefed on the entire module, including our exercises, projects and e-portfolio. We were being introduced about FLIP, where we had to prepare a presentation on our lecture with our group that is divided in week 1. 

On week 1, the first topic we have to prepare is to find out what are the different types of infographic, the kind of information they’re applicable for with an example for each identified type. For individual task, we were required to pick one free online infographic tool and re-design one poorly constructed infographic poster using an online tool. 

Individual Task (Re-design Infographic Poster)

For individual task, I first did some researches on infographic poster on Pinterest. I found a few posters and analyse them. I identified one poster that I think it is poorly constructed and redesign it using Canva.


Infographic Poster from Pinterest

This poster is quite simple and straight-forward. However, I think the line may cause confusion on the process as the line is placed up and down. It's not effective on leading the viewers' eyes to follow the procedures step by step. I used Canva to redesign the poster, I shorten the explanation of each procedure and chose suitable graphics/icons for each steps. I also arranged each steps from top to bottom accordingly so that the viewers' eyes can follow the sequence. 

Redesigned Infographic Poster

Week 2 / 14.2.2024

Group Task (FLIP Presentation)


FLIP 1: Types Of Infographics


EXERCISES

Exercise 1 - Quantify & Visualize Data

In the first exercise, we are required to quantify (count) our chosen items (buttons/Legos/coins/MNMs) and arrange the objects into a presentable layout or chart. The requirement is that the information must be presented as it is with relevant indicators written out with pens to help us to visualize the quantity and data. 

I used Legos for this exercise. I chose 50 Lego bricks and divided them by their sizes and colours. I did some researches on how to visualise the data in a more creative way. There are a few ways such as in blocks, circular shapes and more. Then, I made a draft on arranging the Legos according to their sizes and colours with labels.

Draft

After that, I received feedbacks to arrange the colours from light to dark. I also used colour pen to show the labels, different colours for different labels of sizes. I also included a title and key beside the circular shape that divided the Lego bricks. 


Quantify and Visualise Data - 1

Final Quantify & Visualise Data (Exercise 1)

Final Quantify and Visualise Data 

Exercise 2 - L.A.T.C.H

In exercise 2, we have to organize a group of information into a visual poster that combines and utilizes the LATCH principles (Minimum 4). We are required to use the digital photo editing/illustration software available to assemble the information into a LATCH infographic poster. We are allowed to reuse back the images but we do have to create the rest of your visuals to complete the poster.

Requirements: Size resolution: 1240 × 1750 pixels or 2048 × 2048 pixels.

I decided to pick one of the suggested compiled data, dinosaur for this exercise. First of all, I listed out the information I wanted to include into the infographic poster. I categorised them according to the time, which include Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous. I listed down the information such as period, length, location and so on. 


Information

L.A.T.C.H

    L (Location): North America
    A (Alphabet): Each dinosaur's terms are written in alphabetical order
    T (Time): Triassic, Jurassic, Cretaceous 
    C (Category): Timeline // Herbivore, Carnivore, Omnivore

Visual Reference

After listing out the information, I headed to Pinterest to find some infographics as visual references. Initially, I focus more on timeline infographics as I was thinking to placing the information according to the timeline. Then, I also searched for other types of infographics such as geographical infographics as I realised that there are a few ways to arrange the information.



Visual References

Sketches

After doing research on visual references, I started to draw the sketches. For the first sketch, the information is divided by timeline (Triassic, Jurassic, Cretaceous) and herbivore, carnivore and omnivore. I think this is a more straightforward way to categorise and show the information. 


Sketch 1

For the second sketch, I divided the information using their timelines and listed the types, location, periods and so on at the side. I think this will be messier as all the information was listed out surrounding the circle, it will look very compact. 


Sketch 2

For the third sketch, I included a map on top, and categorised the dinosaurs according to timeline on the line. The map serves as a legend, which helps to clarify the information (location) of each dinosaurs below.



Sketch 3

After deciding to continue my work with Sketch 1, I drew one more sketch based on the style of Sketch 1 with slightly different arrangement. 


Sketch 4

Digitisation

Before working on the visuals, I first arranged the text of the information to see how much spaces they used within the size of 1240 × 1750 pixels artboard. 

Like what advised by Mr Shamsul, I narrowed down the information into "The Dinosaurs' Timeline in North America". I divided them into 3 categories according to the different timelines, Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous. 


After listing down the information, I started to search for visuals that I wanted to include in this poster. I searched for background that is fossil-like. I included a footprint of dinosaurs as indicators to clarify their types, herbivore, carnivore and omnivore. Besides, I also used shadows of each dinosaurs with low transparency and place them behind so that it won't be too overwhelming.


Infographic Poster - Attempt 1

In the first attempt, I think it is a little bit messy and unclear as there is no clear division for each timeline. Besides, there are too many words gathered on the main part where make it seems very compact. 

In the second attempt, I removed the lines and replaced it by blocks with different colours for each timelines. 


Infographic Poster - Attempt 2

For attempt 2, I think it looks less compact with more white spaces in the poster. However, it is difficult to differentiate each eras for different dinosaurs as there is no division. 

 
Infographic Poster - Attempt 3

In the third attempt, I added a 30% transparent box and lines for each timelines so that the viewers can understand each categories more easily. 

Overall Infographics Design Process

Final L.A.T.C.H Infographic Poster


Final L.A.T.C.H Infographic Poster

Revised L.A.T.C.H Infographic Poster

Revised L.A.T.C.H Infographic Poster


FEEDBACKS

Week 1 / Exercise 1

Can arrange the colours from light to dark colours, according to their tone (cold/warm).

Week 2 / Exercise 2

Visual is important, but the information is also important too. List down the information you want to include and find for research references. It's better to narrow down the dinosaurs as there are too many, such as choosing 1 continent. The 1st sketch will be more suitable to categorise the dinosaurs according to timeline and their types. Use suitable typeface. 


REFLECTION

Both exercise has allowed me to learn about the basics of information design. Through the first exercise, I am able to understand how to effectively represent numerical information through visualization. It might seems easy but we have to consider factors like the data's distribution, relationships and so on while arranging them. Throughout this exercise, I gained a deeper understanding of the importance of choosing the right visualization techniques to convey data accurately.

The L.A.T.C.H. Infographic Poster exercise allows me to understand how to structure and present information effectively using the L.A.T.C.H. framework. One of the key insights from this exercise was the importance of listing out the information needed in the infographic poster. By identifying the most relevant and meaningful content, I am able to design the poster according to different categories. By using clear headings, distinct visual elements, and logical grouping of information, I was able to create a poster that was visually engaging and easy to navigate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Typography - Task 1: Exercises

Interactive Design - Exercises

Video and Sound Production - Project 2